speaking of MUSIC BOXES

Synchronistically,  I just completed a piece where I took raw live footage
from an improv that I did at
the Berlin Live Looping Festival last summer that used toy bells (which are
music box-esque, I think).

I just uploaded it as an mp3 to the files section of Loopers Delight.

By the way,  Michael Peters just sent me an URL for a fascinating talk with
Bjork about her new CD.
At her website, they just had a contest for people to win one of two of the
three extant music boxes that she had
custom made to begin her Vespertine concert.  I heard that she just
appeared
under a simple spotlight
and played the junglish piece that she composed and then had a music box
company physically make her
a music box that played the composition.  It's beautiful and on the
Vestpertine CD.

Probably the first time in pop history that an artist merely played a music
box (without singing).

I also heard that with older music boxes that some of the metal tines are
held in by tiny screws which allows one to
un screw them and rearrange them  so that the rhythm of the piece stays the
same but the melody is different.............
allowing for a kind of 'random' but constrained 'improvisation'.

Music boxes are really mechanical loopers,  aren't they?

I just discovered a Sesame Street jack in the box in my collection that
plays 'Pop Goes the Weasel".
Just last night I accidentally started turning the handle backwards and, lo
and behold, I can play the piece
backwards at my own speed.  It sounds really beautiful and melancholy.

I think I'll do a piece with it for my own 30 minute slot at the Y2K4
International Live Looping Festival on October 8th, 9th and 10th in Santa
Cruz.       Loopers are coming from as far away as Japan, Switzerland,
Italy, Wales and possibly Germany as well as from all over the West Coast
and a few brave souls flying in from the rest of the country.

No details yet, but pass the word.   I'll officially announce for
submissions in about a week when I'm in a place to handle
them............lol.