Re: Live 4 and the EDP

On Aug 15, 2004, at 7:04 PM, Tom Rex wrote:

> Thanks, again, Per.  That got me where I wanted to go!
>
> What I wanted to do was trigger midi commands to the EDP via the
> computer
> keyboard thru Live 4.
>
> So, based on your previous advise, I mapped some computer keys to the
> midi
> clips within a track.  I then double clicked on those midi clips, and
> did a
> few midi sequences to push the midi virtual buttons, which then got the
> lights flashing on the EDP!  There is some latency, so I hade to set
> the
> quantitize in Live to 1/32, or none.
>
> Wow!  That's really powerful stuff!  Especially for computer based
> music.
>
> Tom

Aha, so you're actually sequencing EDP actions. Cool! I've only done
that once with EDP and Repeater and then I was just playing back an
improvisational performance where a computer had recorded EDP source
audio together with foot controller MIDI messages. This was just a
workaround because I did not have five inputs to the recording maching
(1 EDP + 4 Repeater). It took some time to recreate the performance but
after a while I ended up with the complete improvisation separated in
Logic on five channels.

I'm now designing a laptop based looping system with Live 4 as "mixer".
One idea for EDP as well, as Augustus Loop AU plug-in, is to take
advantage of the new midi clips of Live 4 and set up template midi
clips as "dynamic fx racks" for the loopers. I once noticed that if you
send volume changes (some midi cc sweeping) to the EDP when in overdub
mode, this sweeps will become part of the loop on the next round. So
you could in fact use midi foot pedals to launch Live midi clips with
different "beat pattern tremolo effect settings" as you are looping
away on the EDP.

This trick has to stay on my to-do-list for a while though. Next thing
to try out here is using Live 4 built in effects on the audio input
from the EDP and setting up a useful scheme for FCB1010 control (got to
keep reducing options all the time to keep things playable).

All the best

Per Boysen
---
http://www.boysen.se