Re: Using pre-recorded material in performance

At 07:11 AM 8/8/2004, a k butler wrote:

>>I've gotten the impression that purist loopers have some disdain for
>>backing tracks of any kind. Maybe it's because some people think looping
>>should be about pure improvisation, and so the use of backing tracks
>>would compromise the integrity of the craft? Could be.
>
>Personally I play loop music which is all live, and has a large element
>of
>pre-composition.
>I don't recollect any "pure loop improvisors" who objected to canned
>loops
>on those grounds. They may, of course, exist in droves and I just know
>about them.

Similarly, I've been playing in another Live Looping "grey area".  I've
found that I'll frequently compose complex loops live, but I'll do so
wholly within the audition channel and won't bring the loop volume into
the
mains until it's already fully composed.

While this technically is Live Looping, it does seem to stray from the
whole philosophy of watching the musician compose the music from the very
first note.  Frankly, I've no real problem with either Andy's
pre-composition or my own "composition in obscura".  Then again, I don't
have a problem with pre-recording loops either, as long as the end result
is interesting.

         --m.

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil