Re: Dalai phon : Was: other recorder recommendations ?

In a message dated 7/6/04 5:00:22 PM, nospam@akroeger.com writes:

<< care to tell us more about the instrument and the recording
Dalai Phon?  >>

Hi
If memory serves:
the instrument was just a thumb piano I made out of a tin can and
hairpins. I
think it was a small cylindrical can for Dorset Shortbread, maybe 6 inches
tall.

I used a SignalFlex guitar tuner pickup to record a track onto my old
Boomerang. I played very slowly at the high speed setting and bounced it
to the PS02.
Then I dropped the Boomerang down to lo-speed setting for a very low pitch
and bounced that to the PS02.

I took the 2 tracks from the PS02 and put them on my computer. The lowered
pitch track was kept whole. The normal track was then pitched upwards
using
software. Because I had played so slowly, the pitch could raise without
the sound
bunching up into chipmunkville.

Then I offset the tracks and faded one in while fading one out.
What I like is that it is just one track but it sounds like different
tracks.

It made me think of the very low tones mixed with the delicate high
harmonics
of Tibetan chanting, hence the title  - Dalai.

cheers
BobC

www.cdbaby.com/rpcollier
http://trundlebox.iuma.com