Re: Live looping percussion - thoughts?

> As far as the easiest way for the drummer to find a comfortable tempo and
> "lock" it, I'd say just use the tap tempo feature. I've not used beat
> detect, but I suspect that it might have its quirks and difficulties, and
> you'd still have to press a button to lock it. As far as EDP's drifting,
> again I don't have experience using one, but I'd guess tap tempo would
> provide more consitent results, assuming you'd slave the EDP's to the
> repeater's tempo.

We do slave my EDPs to the Repeater.  That's one of the most exciting
things
for both of us, and why I'm intent on finding the best way to handle this
"initial tempo issue".

>  I use tap tempo all the time with the repeater and it's
> invaluable. The only way I could see the beat detect and then tempo lock
> being more appropriate is if he's going to just jam on a beat and then
> wouldn' have a free foot or hand to tap that tempo in real quick. The
>only
> hang up I see with tap tempo is that I've found it's sometimes difficult
> tap in a slow tempo when the 'peater is at a fast one. I guess the best
way
> to know though would be to experiment. Like I said, I have a feeling the
> beat detect mode isn't all it's cracked up to be. Someone correct me if
I'm
> wrong.

Thanks!  All great info.  Tomorrow (Sunday) we'll get together again, so
I'll know more about beat detect then.  In the meantime, here's a situation
we pondered after trying out the repeater in USER MODE last time:

He would just start playing a little rhythmic figure, not using tap tempo
on
the Repeater and not in BEAT DETECT mode.  So, regardless of the current
tempo of the Repeater, he would start recording the loop on the one beat,
and stop it on the one of the next measure, in tempo with his playing, all
in perfect-drummer-like fashion. :)  And the loop would play back
seamlessly, and seemingly in rhythm, with a good loop boundary.  But of
course, the Repeater seemed to have quantized those actions to match with
the tempo it had, and stretched the loop to fit.  I believe this is the
basic function of Loop Point Assist.

By the way, when we'd do this, subsequent hits on Multiply caused the loop
to warble a bit before it stabilized.  I suspect that has to do with the
original stretching of the loop, and thus the misalignment of the audio
with
the actual tempo of the loop from the Repeater's point of view.

This situation also sends MIDI clock to my EDPs that is rhythmically
unrelated to the actual audio on the loop.

I know that tap tempo'ing the loop and having a very close tempo before you
start recording, eliminates this problem.  I assume that a combination of
BEAT DETECT and then a hit on TEMPO LOCK does the same thing.

- Anybody know if I'm right about my assumptions above?

We won't necc. *always* use this approach, but it's one that comes
naturally
to us both, so we want to get it down.  There *will* be times that I start
playing, and he tap tempo's the Repeater to set our clocks.  That works
fine.

PS - If you've read all of this because this somehow interests you :), I'd
love to hear your ideas and experiences with this, especialy if you have a
Repeater.  Mark S., you out there?

> Jason
>
> p.s. Texa, eh?  What part?  Maybe we need to get a gulf south thing going
> soon. I'm in the big boot and have been discussing the possiblity of
> organizing shows with a fellow Louisiana looper recently. Keep us up to
date
> on your progress

We're in Houston.  Email me off list, and let's chat.  We won't be ready
for
anything live for a few months at a minimum, but I'd love to hear more
about
what you're doing!

PSS - Thanks in advance to anyone who decides to reply on my first post in
this thread.  I really owe this list a lot, and I tend to ask more
questions
that I answer, so I *really* owe you guys after this one.  Thanks!!