RE: Miels Davis loop

> Wait, but where do the bass playing/drumming come from?

they're part of the original recording

> you have choosen a rhythmic value for the loops gradual displacement.
>Did
you do this in the program by ear or by some calculation

I found the value simply by trial and error until it created some kind of
rhythm created from the slices of the original rhythm

> Also, would you mind describing exactly how you made this?

I used Granulab which does the chopping into slices and rearranging them -
don't want to explain granular synthesis here - the piece was basically
created by feeding the original recording into Granulab, and finding the
best placements for three or four sliders, the rest happened on its own
without any intervention from my side.

> I wonder if this technique could be used in real time.

Granular synthesis can never really manipulate the real time signal in real
time as it basically always samples a sound, chops it into grains, and
plays
them back in a different order. So it has some similarities to looping,
really. Granulab is not designed to work with real time signals but the
wonderful Audiomulch has a real time granulator which even uses an internal
delay. Probably Reaktor has a similar feature. I'm not sure if a technique
similar to the Miles piece could be done in real time with Audiomulch,
maybe
it would be interesting to try that.

-Michael
www.michaelpeters.de