Re: the asynchronous DD-20 (and OTHER THOUGHTS ON GEAR IN GENERAL)

I very much agree.  There's a time and a place for
pretty much everything, I believe, including large
racks full of processors.  However, a single classical
guitarist can be engaging for an entire performance
with just, yes, a single guitar.  Now, I personally
feel much more comfortable having more delay devices,
rather than less, to accompany me, but this is just
due to my insecurity!
      The real magic, I feel, is in the performer's
hands, the instrument, and a select few signal
processing devices.  What's great is when the
equipment BECOMES another instrument, which is
probably why us loopers tend to have so much of it!  A
lot of nice equipment CAN sound great, but is such a
hassle for a single person to
maintain/soundcheck/setup/breakdown/etc during a
performance.  The less I have to do equipment-wise
before playing, the better.
     Now, I'm tended to cite guitar, as it's the
instrument I've grown on (before migrating to the
Stick a couple years ago):  if you've ever heard music
from both Leo Kottke and Derek Bailey, you KNOW the
vast range of sounds to come out of one instrument!
     Anyway, as I step down from my soapbox, I'd just
like to say that none of this is a knock on the state
of looping, or electronic music in general, but a firm
belief in "less is more."
matt herman
funender.com/music/herman

http://www.netmusic.com/web/album.aspx?a_id=CBNM_17314