Re: trying to find the right looping tool (another question)

erwill(?),

In a message dated 5/13/04 5:01:44 PM, erwill@suitandtieguy.com wrote:

>On May 13, 2004, at 12:23 PM, Bryanvandonslear@wmconnect.com wrote:
>
>> My main reference for looping is Robert Fripps Frippertronics.
>> I would like to be able to have a looper that will basically do what
>> Fripps equipment did.

Then you replied . . .

>If you want a pedal for Frippertronicising, buy a Boss DD-20. 200
>bucks gives you stereo 23 second delays, and the ability to oppose
>2 delay loops of different lengths like he does with Soundscapes.
>
>e-mail me If you'd like to chat about it, or pose questions to the list.

I was wondering . . . I'm a long time EDP user now trying to find ways
to pare down from a 16-space rack and a floor full of pedals and
controllers to simply an amp, guitar and a few sundry pedals -- for
those gigs where it's damn inconvenient to schlepp a ton of gear to.

I bought a Line6 DL-4 pedal about 16 months ago and it has already
died (deader than a doornail as they say) -- worse still, it's now also
out of warrantee. It'll also cost nearly as much to fix as to buy
another one of the little buggers.

Disgusted, I bought one of those DD20s a month or so ago and have
been playing around with it. The "looper" mode is fairly easy to suss
right out of the box. However, I find many of its other features
pretty hard to comprehend because of the poorly written and
obscurely laid out manual.

I feel that there is a great deal I can't figure out from just working
with the unit itself. Your comment above about the "2 delay loops
of different lengths" baffled me when I first read it. Can you please
(if it wouldn't be too much trouble) explain how this is possible?

So far, I have not been using the thing for anything more than just
the most basic of looping functions (in the "Sound on Sound" mode).
I know that it is supposed to be capable of a good deal more.
But the rest of it all still seems pretty cryptic.

Best,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian