Re: art rock recommendations?

On 04-04-14 09.03,  "Per Boysen" <per@boysen.se> wrote:

> Well, I'm no record collector but I've heard some concerts by Henry Cow
>(in
> the seventies). However, what really impressed me was to hear some gigs
>with
> Fred Frith (don't remember the band names) ten to fifteen years later and
> also talking to him about instruments he is building. He got an amzing
>sound
> from a piece of wood with steel strings and electric pick-ups on both
>sides
> of the tailpiece. He could switch between these two pickups and for some
> notes decide to play the strings on the right side of the tailpiece while
> using the pick-up on the other side to amplify only the overtones thus
> generated. Another cool thing, IMHO, with that "instrument" was it's
>utter
> ugliness. Very raw. No paint or design. Just a piece of wood, two pickups
> and some loose hanging leaders.

Oops. I just saw my post and want to describe that instrument a little more
so you guitar nerds out there won't take it for "a guitar" ;-)  It is very
small and about the size of a big food plate. Fred played it with round
metal objects (slide guitar technique), drum brushes or just lifted it and
banged it into some other object.

You can really make great music with the simplest objects.

Best wishes

Per Boysen
--
www.boysen.se