Naming what we do...

Hey folks

>>I would be interested in knowing if a group of
>>individuals consciously sat down and thought about
>>naming music as "Jazz" "Rock n Roll" "Salsa" "Blues"
>>etc.or was it perhaps just a popular term which
>>eventually spread out?

But see -- ALL of those musics can be done with 'looping' . I feel that
it's
not so much a 'form' or 'category' of music as it is a 'technique' or
'method' that can, and seemingly has been - applied to ANY type of music.

BTW - I am in Newport RI right now having a great time on a small tour with
one of the masters of electronic/experimental music - Don Preston. I'll
point ya to the tour diary when it exists - a highlight so far was the
Boston gig and the earlier Berklee seminar by Don - fantastic!! Berklee VP
and old buddy of Don's Gary Burton showed up at the end - that was tres
cool...Remaining dates are below.

What do we call the music?? Electronic/experimental/musque concrete and
free
jazz..... With loads of looping.

-peace - andre' (east coast)
BTW - how funny is it that BOTH andre's have performed with DON PRESTON.
What's going on here???!!! is this some kind of loop??

Don Preston Akashic Ensemble APRIL 2004
Electronics, brass , percussion, samples, weirdness, poems:

Don Preston - Moog Voyager Analog synth, sampler, etc -
Andre' Cholmondeley - guitar, filters, loops, samples etc
Cheri Jiosne- drums, electronics, percussion, loops synth etc
Elliott Levin -saxes, flute, poetry
Dave Ballou - trumpet/FX  (ON APR 4, 14 only!)

Sun Apr 11 Colony Cafe'  Woodstock NY -Akashic+ Preston Trio*
Wed Apr 14 The Saint 601 Main St Asbury Park NJ

*TRIO-- Don Preston/piano, Ken Filiano/ac. bass, Gregg Bendian/drums