RE: Getting Gigs (Borders)

I played Borders too, as there are 3 within 50 miles of each other. About 5
years ago, I played each one, once a month for 3 years. It was great,
either
they paid money or got gift certificates (a few years, everyone got
Christmas  presents from Borders). I got a huge book and CD collection
through them. Through their corporate office, we booked shows up the east
coast for grand openings- one gig, we shared with a Tony Bennett book
signing!
We usually asked to play in the 'art' section rather than the café, since
it
was a big open space, and a lot quieter. They let us sell CDs freely. They
even fed us.
One day a few years ago they cut all compensation for artists- in fact, I
heard that the company had expanded too fast, and was in trouble. The first
to go was the music events. I had played 1 grand opening since, and was
paid
for it. Any other performances were to be for free. I have done a lot of
free shows in my life, but I can't play for free for a corporation that
used
to pay me well.
BTW, Barnes & Noble used to have music, but not pay. Not even free drinks.
I'd rather play for free in a small independent coffeehouse.

Dave Eichenberger
http://www.hazardfactor.com