names names names - was "how to announce performances"

Matthias -

I sympathize with your desire to consolidate.  But then it's easy to
understand why people want new labels for their music, right?

I mean: Rock Music = Rock Music, Heavy Metal, Grunge, Shoegazer, BritPop,
PowerPop, New Metal, Glam Rock, Classic Rock, etc, etc...
Sure, it's all "rock music" and then so is Ska, Reggae, and (arguably)
Disco
too.

Creative people like to break new ground and destroy old associations, and
evolving fresh sounds with new names (rhythm and blues, soul, funk,
hip-hop,
rap, freestyle, go-go, turntabilism... etc., etc...) help remove one form
an
"old genre" and put one in a "new genre"  (disco, industrial, techno, IDM,
electronica, breakbeat, garage, drum and bass, eurodance, house, hardcore,
etc., etc...).

Perhaps imagining that everyone will use the same terms and agree to stick
with them is a bit of a lost cause from the start.

David