Re:Re: Kenton Spin Doctor for EDP

Title: Re:Re: Kenton Spin Doctor for EDP
At 01:00 AM 3/14/2004, Andreas Willers wrote:
>could the knob on a Midi control device like this:
>
>http://www.kentonuk.com/products/spindoctor.shtml
>
>serve as momentary switches to control an EDP's parameters (mainly things
>like REVERSE and HALFSPEED)? How would this work with SUS commands?

Kim wrote:

you want knobs to do the job of buttons? I guess you might possibly be able
to program it to work, but I can't see how it would be easy to use.

that same company makes other midi controllers that have buttons, why not
use one of those?

Hi Kim,

in fact, I was looking for a small device with just a couple of buttons to switch programms and parameters but I couldn't find anything, period. The only floorpedal that appealed to me is the long discontinued pmc 10, which seems very hard to get.

That's why I want to keep using a miniaturised version of my trusty EFC-7 on the floor and just get the option to reach some of the new soft's great features on my "table top" board. That board holds some other devices I like to manipulate by hand, so this is fine me and not just a workaround. I am currently trying out the Spin Doctor and while it's a little awkward at first it seems to be able to do the job. Right now I have one knob do the HALFSPEED thing and the next button to go back to FULLSPEED. Turning a button with RETRIGG like mad gives a nice, grinding mosh even out of a nice and smooth loop, fun! The other units by Kenton have more options and sport some buttons but are bigger and more expensive.

Anyway, I found this thing in a quite fun music store in Berlin, currently residing in a funky shack in a cool old office building in the East. Great selection of all-analog synths, effects, sleek line mixers etc. that usually never show up in "normal" stores. Check out www.schneidersbuero.de  - they will be at the Frankfurt fair as well and will change their location after that - probably to and even more far out place....

Regards, Andreas