Re: Kenton Spin Doctor for EDP

At 01:00 AM 3/14/2004, Andreas Willers wrote:
>could the knob on a Midi control device like this:
>
>http://www.kentonuk.com/products/spindoctor.shtml
>
>serve as momentary switches to control an EDP's parameters (mainly things
>like REVERSE and HALFSPEED)? How would this work with SUS commands?

you want knobs to do the job of buttons? I guess you might possibly be
able
to program it to work, but I can't see how it would be easy to use.

The Echoplex can respond to cc messages. A non-zero value of the cc for a
given command is the same as pressing the command's button down, and the
zero value is the same as releasing it. With knobs I guess you would set
it
up so turning the knob up would send the non-zero value to press the
button
and turning it back down to zero would release it. That seems really
awkward to me. Also, it would probably send multiple cc messages as you
turned it up, which might just confuse the echoplex. Maybe you can set the
range of knob so it only has two values, and turning it to the upper side
sends one non-zero message and the lower side sends zero. I didn't look at
the manual for this controller so I don't know if it does that.

that same company makes other midi controllers that have buttons, why not
use one of those?

kim