Boss DD-20-Frome a newbie

I just got one othese things.  Lots of delay permutations and sme memory-sorta Boss's answer to the green Line 6 box.  23s delay available for loops.

Okay, now what?  I really love the sound of a "pad", a la Leni Stern, Torn and so on.  So far though, I'm only able to make things playback....playback....playback....you get it?

How does one lay done that nice, sort of sitaristic background pad to play against (so I can perpetrate some new age sludge for my friends ands neighbors...ha)

Mike Cripe
Tampa, Fl.