Midi control for EDP

Hello,

sorry, another midi control question by stupid me. I want to stick to my
EFC-7 footpedal with the EDP for the functions I need to do by foot (like
record, multiply, overdub and insert) and use some kind of a table top midi
device (like a small keyboard) to acces the parameters like half speed,
reverse, quantize etc.  What would be the requirements for such a
programmable device -> cc? note on/off? would maybe knobs do instead of
buttons?

Thanks a lot, Andreas