Almost Called the Fire Department

Holy heck. I powered up my rig today to play guitar for a few minutes. After about ten minutes, I smelt something hot. I touched my Echoplex's top and it was cool. Then the sound of my Echoplex and drum machine cut out. I looked at one of the racks and saw a strange look to the meters on my Alesis RS300 power amp. I powered everything off and disconnected the amp from the rig in case it burst into flame. That mother was hot! I burnt my hand pulling it out. Weird. The amp is fairly new and has not seen much use. I still haven't had a chance to open it up to see if there's any internal damage. I wonder why this thing decided to make like a toaster oven all of a sudden?

It was about 80 in Columbus GA today and I didn't have my air conditioning on but my apt. didn't feel excessively warm. That 'may' have accounted for the problem.

I have about 5 inches between the top of the amp and the next rack unit so it doesn't appear to be crowded. Wonder if I need to run a fan on the amp?

Regards,

"Fireman" Paul