RE: Even More out of tune

     When approaching something as complex and variable as microtonal
music, it helps to have a
simple place to start from.  The EMU line of sound modules does provide
good user definable tuning
tables IF you know what you're looking for.  Kurzweil provides a different
kind of tuning table, a
bit easier to get around on, though octaves are automatically set to be in
tune with each other.

     Problem with most microtonal ramblings is that it either requires a
lot of background
knowledge, or a curiosity coupled with naivite.  There are thousands of
texts available for the
former, including a couple of highly disfunctional Yahoo tuning groups.
For the latter, I find
that a ribbon controller on a Kurzweil keyboard set to "absolute" (meaning
that when you set the
ribbon to change pitch +/- octave and you touch the far right side, the
pitch will immediately
jump up an octave) provides a very intuitive "way in" for anyone
interested in exploring this
world.  Subtle microtonal shadings similar to a pitch wheel or more
radical searches for
meaningful intervals become available.  Setting up a drone on one channel
while playing with the
ribbon on another channel is a very educational and useful place to start.

     I've mapped out my ribbon controller by marking up a piece of tape to
show the various ratios
(up to the 11 limit).  I get pretty precise control of pitches this way
and all I have to do is
use some care when touching the ribbon.

     Kurzweil also makes (or used to make) the same ribbon controller that
plugs into a brain that
sends MIDI information to anything.  Different PC and CC changes can be
sent as well as initial
entrance and exit values.  Additionally, it sends as one long zone or
splits into three smaller
zones, each zone sending different information.  Hooked up with the
Repeater, this MIDI info can
be applied to pitch, tempo, slip, volume, pan, or any of the MIDI
programmable functions.  I think
it was called the "RibbonMate" or something.  I used to have one but got
rid of it when I bought a
keyboard that had its own ribbon controller.

     Sounds like it would be great for doing what many people on this list
are wanting to do...

              Stephen

     Duncan wrote:
<<<<I've tried experimenting with different scales- the emu modules are
particularly well-equipped
for this kind of adventure- but I can't get past the fact that, to me
anyway, it just sounds
horrible.

I don't play music because I like the maths, I play music because I like
the noise. for me, there
are twelve notes and you can only use certain combinations of them
together at one time. usually
about seven of the twelve.

somethimes the same notes sound a bit different, e.g. if you have a guitar
and a trumpet playing
together. even single notes that are in tune have all these clashing
harmonics that make it sound
out of tune. I know the physics, but I'm trying to keep this simple.

anyway, that's about as much dissonance as I can tolerate unless it's
actually one's intention to
make an awful noise, like with a ring modulator or a dx7, say.....

I'll get me coat again.

duncan.