Re: Even More out of tune

On Feb 6, 2004, at 2:26 PM, asterion@hell.com wrote:
> At 1:12 PM +0000 2/6/04, goddard.duncan@mtvne.com wrote:
>
> i personally am not interested in using non-diatonic-based tunings
>
> Please be aware that "diatonic" has no particular relationship to
> "tuning."
>
> A diatonic scale is simply a set of seven pitches spanning an octave
> and corresponding to the white keys on a piano (i.e. a pattern of
> semitones 2-2-1-2-2-2-1). You can start the scale pattern on any of
> its notes and you can transpose the scale to any of the 12 chronatic
> tones. The tuning of the pitches themselves is arbitrary. Therefore
> you can have diatonic scales in a variety of tunings, though most of
> the time when people say "diatonic" they imply "twelve-tone
> equal-tempered" tuning.

i guess in my original response to someone's response to my response to
someone's post, i should have further clarified by qualified "diatonic"
with "western diatonic", or "plucked string overtone derived diatonic
tuning/harmony systems". both of which imply a equal-tempered,
well-tempered, just, pothagoryan, or other (say, Werckmeister) classic
European tuning system.

i do believe there is a significant amount of _consonant_ musical
exploration to be had in non-equal tuning systems.

next time i host/play a Robert Rich show i should talk his ear off
about _that_.
---
Eric Williamson
www.suitandtieguy.com