Re: Even More Slash....

On Feb 4, 2004, at 1:41 PM, asterion@hell.com wrote:
> At 4:42 PM -0500 2/3/04, Andre Cholmondeley wrote:
>> Check out some Raymond Scott
> Some pretty silly shit.

ah, you must be thinking of his jazz ensemble music.

have you heard his electronic stuff?

btw, the only thing i would take issue with in Andre's excellent post
would be that nothing _truly_ new has been done in electronic music
since the seventies, not the 50s. i believe that Tangerine Dream's
application of improvisational sequencing (and Giorgio Moroder's
parallel discoveries of both Acid House and Diva House in 1975) is
significant enough to push that number forward by 20.

but yes, one of my favourite realities of music in the year 2004 is
that there is truly nothing new, as our musical opportunities are
limited by the overtone series of western instruments. all that is left
is to discover what is _good_.

---
Eric Williamson
www.suitandtieguy.com