Re: OT: Multitrack recording question

--- wolfereeno <wolfereeno@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have a bunch of 4 track cassette tapes that I've been moving over to
>the
> computer.  I've got a Delta1010 card and have been recording them using
>any
> number of tools (Vegas, Nuendo, Sonar...) so I end up with 4 very large
>(45
> min) mono wav files per tape.  The files contain multiple songs but also
> lot of dead space as well as things I don't want to keep.
>
> My question has to with finding a convenient way to edit down the wav
>files
> and separate the songs I want to keep into separate projects.  I haven't
> been able to find a good way to do it yet.  I'd like to simply copy 4
>tracks
> simultaneously to 4 new tracks to be saved as 4 shorter wav files.

I don't know much about the applications you mentioned, but it seems to me
that
the easiest approach would be to start a new project for each song you
want to
transfer, then record from the 4tk from the start of the song to the end,
then
start a new project for the next song. So, you'd do each song seperately
instead
of recording the entire 4tk tape worth of material in to edit later.

Given the hassle you're having with the editing, I'd think this would
probably be
less time consuming then trying to figure out how to make some hunk of
software
do the same thing for you.

> Those audio workstations I've used copy the tracks no problem, but they
> don't actually modify (or even copy) the underlying wav files, so
>different
> projects end up sharing the same base wavs.  This causes a lot of
>headaches.
> I'd rather work with each project having it's own shortened wav files and
> delete the originals.

I don't know the packages you mentioned, but in Cakewalk, there's a
function
called Compact Audio Data, which I think will copy any shared underlying
wav
files. Or saving the song into a bundle would definitely do it. Perhaps
you could
do something like that with the software you have after you split the
tracks to
seperate songs?

Greg