Re: Re: King crimson stuff

Douglas Baldwin <coyotelk@optonline.net> wrote:

> Re. "5/8 looped interlocking stuff." I've seen transcriptions somewhere
> of "Discipline" if you want to get their exact notes. Perhaps easier is
> to actually experience the concept with a fellow guitarist:
> Guitar One plays, ferexample, an A minor pentatonic scale, even eighth
> notes, from low A up to G (A-C-D-E-G).
> Guitar Two plays *almost* the exact same line with one extra note
> (A-C-D-E-D-G). The two "loops" go in and out of phase - six reps of the
> 5/8 line and five reps of the 6/8 line equals one complete cycle of the
> pattern. Once you dig the concept *and can actually do it on your chosen
> musical instrument with a fellow musician* you can expand and expand.

I do a simple but similar thing solo on Chapman Stick. I find, say, A, B,
C in the bass with my left hand and A, B, C an octave up with the right
hand. Then I play whole notes (4-count) of A-B-C-A-B-C with one hand
versus 3 quarter-notes each of A-B-C-B with the other hand.

I found my looping gear extremely helpful in starting how to do this, or
in speeding up: loop one side, play the other side versus the loop, and
"ghost" note play the loop until I could turn off the loop and play both
patterns at tempo live.

Steve
Subscape Annex
http://www.subscapeannex.com/