Re: EDP function recommendation (or question)

on 12/31/03 12:36 PM, Kim Flint at kflint@loopers-delight.com wrote:

> At 09:52 AM 12/31/2003, Mark Hamburg wrote:
>> What I want in Next Loop functionality is a version of the switch
>quantize
>> function that does the following:
>>
>> * Next Loop + Overdub, Multiply, and Insert all use the same
>quantization as
>> they do when not doing a Next Loop and always copy the current loop. In
>> other words, they act just like using them in the current loop with the
>> added behavior of leaving the current loop in place so that you can come
>> back to it.
>
> it works that way now! Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. You just have to
>set
> quantize  and switchquant the same.

Next + Overdub only works when going into empty loops. It also doesn't use
the quantization of the non-loop-switching versions.

>> * Next Loop + Undo (i.e., commit the next loop) uses the standard switch
>> quantization options for Next Loop (i.e., now, cycle, or loop).
>
> the main point of it is to give you an option to break out of
>quantization
> when you need to. Otherwise you just wait for the quantize to happen. Or,
> use the SwitchQuant settings of Confirm-cycle or Confirm-loop. Then after
> you press Undo to confirm it still waits for the quantize point.
>
>> That way one could have a loop, decide to go overdub some stuff while
>> keeping a copy of the current loop, and then return the original loop
>with
>> everything staying aligned to cycle or loop boundaries.
>
> you should be able to easily do it with LoopIV, is there something I
>missed?

Here are the differences between what I understand Loop IV as doing and
what
I want to do:

1. Next + Overdub only works to copy the loop if the next loop is empty. I
want it to always copy.

2. Next + (Overdub/Multiply/Insert) all use the loop switch quantization
rather than the main quantization setting. Since I'm copying the loop over,
what I really want is to copy the loop complete with loop start, cycle
points, etc. and then apply the standard quantization.

As an example of how I'd set things up if it worked, I would probably set
the primary quantization to off or 8ths. I would set switch quantization to
cycle or loop.

At any point, I could hit next + overdub/multiply/insert and effectively
copy my current loop into the next loop and start modifying it more or less
immediately. I could return to my initial loop via Next + Undo and have the
switch take place on a cycle or loop boundary.

I don't believe you can do this with Loop IV.

Mark