EDP function recommendation (or question)

This is probably for Kim but maybe someone else has some
comment on it as well.

There's an added piece of functionality that I think would
be cool for a future OS version ... or ... maybe I can
already do this and I'm just not seeing it.

I think it would be cool to be able to set the EDP with
two loops and always use the second loop to do small variations
on the original. In other words ... first time through you
record your loop. Kick to the next loop with sound copy and
add something. Go back to the first loop. Then (here's the
tricky part), kick back to the second with just a copy of
the first.

I guess one general purpose way to accomplish this would
be some kind of MIDI function that would allow you to reset
a loop that's not currently playing.

Make any sense?

Glenn