Re: WHAT COULD WE DO BETTER?...and why should we do it?

  Excellent point David.  One thing that hasn't really been mentioned here
so far, is that the point of seeing a live show, is to do exactly that, SEE
the show.  So, this lends the additional perspectives you mentioned to a
performance.  When the musician is on stage, they now suddenly, have the
immediacy of the performance to work within, which may change the way
they're used to playing their music, unless they're used to playing live.
They have the audience to think about, and if the show is being recorded,
but ideally, their overall picture of what it is they do, can encompass all
these.
  The audience, wants to not only be moved by the way cool music they came
to see or hope they did, but they may be curious in many ways about the
performer too.  What do they look like if they've never seen them before,
or what do they do to make that noise?   lol!    -or maybe some just like
the general experience of live music and enjoy attending shows.  -and as
you mentioned, what's the stage and venue like?   Where and how are they
seated?   Is it interesting and comfortable?   Can they see well enough?
How's the sound system?  Does the music sound good in that respect?
  Is the performer paying any attention to them?   and what kind?
  Finally, is the show being recorded?  Does the audience know?   Does the
pperformer know for that matter?   Recording in itself can add something
fun and immediate to a performance, both for the audience and the
performer.   Does the performer talk about it, is the audience encouraged
to make their presence known ?, or to interact with the performer?/ in the
performance?
  I just think all of these are important things to think about, so thanks
for bringing them up.
  As much as pop is offensive to some, and sort of throw-away by nature,
one can learn alot from it both musically and in the aspects of performance
mentioned here.  It addresses all of them, or at least tries to most of the
time.  Because you might consider smiling to an audience when you just
might not be quite in the mood to smile, doesn't make you insincere in your
image.  If someone approaches you on the street and says hi or acknowledges
you, or asks you how you're doing, would you scowl at them, or consider at
least being polite even if you're feeling a bit off that day?   I consider
an audience like that.  These people came to see YOU.  Even if they've
never met you before, they have an interest in what it is you do.  You have
the stage, and their attention, which they don't just have to give you.
It's a privilege.  What you do with it is about not only the art, but
yourself in their eyes.  Unless they get to know you better, you are what
they see.
  anyway, just my thoughts...   -Great posts, David, Andre, Steve, Rick and
others.   Thank you...

smiles,

Cara

---

  View my online portfolio at:
http://www.onemodelplace.com/model_list.cfm?ID=52516
  -Last updated on Wed. 11.05.03

-Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~thefates

Please visit BadFiction and The Guitar Cafe.