Re: Bose Offers New Take on Live Sound

--- Bill Monk <billmonk@mac.com> wrote:
> Agree with some of the other comments about Bose, but assuming the thing
> works, it's I think it's an exciting idea.

I read all the content-free marketing junk on their website and they never
address the issues of the volume being too loud for the performers or how
they
deal with feedback. I just don't see how it could work at anything over a
whisper
level. By the time you're hearing yourself well enough to sing, you're
going to
be feeding back.

Many years ago, the Grateful Dead had a high tech (for the time) PA setup
which
sat behind the band. They used two mics for every singer and messed with
the
phase on them to try and eliminate the feedback. By all the accounts I've
read,
they had huge problems with it and it never sounded good, so they
eventually
abandoned the idea.

> So while this Bose rig might not exactly work for an Ozzy concert, at
> reasonable volumes the concept at least makes a lot of sense.

I still don't get it. It -might- work in a small coffeehouse, but they
show a big
stage in their diagrams. How is that going to provide enough volume or gain
before feedback for a space the size of the room that would have a stage
that big
in it?

Greg