Re: new lingo

That's a fact, Jack!  Righteous!  Really!  Intense!  Excellent!  Really
Boo.

I would however vote for utmost elimination of the most irritating,
redundant, idiotic verbage yet: "Ya know what I'm sayin'?"  I've been
waiting for someone to attempt saying that this is the 90s-rap descendant
of
Robert Johnson's "You know what I'm talkin' 'bout", but in the absence of
this, I'll say that I can't figure out which is admittedly more stupid, the
person saying that or the person putting up with listening to it, over and
over and frigging over again.  As insipid as someone saying "Okay?" after
every other sentence.  Okay?

Linguistic speed bumps like this are easily cured through the effective
device of schoolroom ridicule.  I once had the bad habit of punctuating my
speaking with "Anyway," which is fine once in a while, but every other
sentence?  During a Show and Tell one day, I got up and was explaining how
something I'd brought in worked, until the teacher stopped me and said to
the class that every time I said "Anyway", everyone would hold their finger
to their nose.  Of course every time one might ask a room full of
9-year-olds to do this, laughter will follow, not just the requested
action.
So, every time I attempted to use "Anyway", the class would hoot, holler,
and put their finger on the side o' the nose.  I shouldn't have to say
that,
when "The Sting" came out some years later, and they were doing that same
thing with the finger-nose bit, I had a chuckle.

Years later I got back in my own way.  A substitute teacher I had in HS
used
"Okay?" at the end of so many sentences, that by 3-4 minutes into the
hour-long class, I started counting the number of times he said it.  At the
end of the class, the total was almost 500.  I figured that I'd never see
the guy again, so I went up after class and gave him the piece of paper
with
the chit marks on it, explaining that this was how many times he'd said
"Okay?" during his class.  Hopefully he stopped it himself. :)

Anyway!  Ya know what I'm sayin'?  Okay.

Steve Goodman
* EarthLight Productions
* http://www.earthlight.net

"Goddess" <thefates@earthlink.net> said..
>   Ya forgot Fly!   like, Gary's the dopest, flyest, OG pimp, hustler,
> gangsta',  player, hardcore MF, and I'm totally and completely, on his-
> well, nevermind.   lol!   -some of you know what I'm talking about.
>   -Nighters,
>
> C-Quinn
>
> At 12:03 AM 10/20/03 -0700, you wrote:
> >My 2 cents--
> >Most of the more recent American slang has come from the streets,
courtesy
> >of Black America, hence Phat and my favorites, "wack" and "dope" . . .
> >America owes much to the African American!
> >Since looping is present in modern dance music, does that community have
any
> >pertinent slang terms we propeller heads (please please can I be one?)
can