Y2K3 Looping Festival-Santa Cruz

I want to tell all those who produced and participated in the Y2K3 festival here in Santa Cruz, how much I enjoyed the performances for the three days over this last weekend. Although I was somewhat tied up in the act of attempting to record the event on my computer, which was the first time I connected to a house sound board before, I was able to also experience the wonderful varied and creative display of real talent that was presented.

My mouth many a time just dropped open at the level of mastery of self, musical instruments, equipment and sounds that I saw and heard! I have liked various forms of this general type of music, which I first heard in its early evolution in the late 70's and 80's, and have attended at least part of 2 loop fests in Santa Cruz in the last several years previous to this one. I also know Rick Walker from talking to him at a local coffee spot, which is always a joy and inpiration. He certainly works hard to present a fine forum for looping. Despite many technical problems that came my way in recording the festival, some on my side of the fence, some the other side, I am now working on making a CD(s) out of what I have on hard disk.

When I got home, I checked my records, and it turns out I had forgotten to pay Bill Gates his 2% no-crash tax, for Windows 98, and unfortunately therfore paid the hard penalty. If only I had paid the Bill and gotten up to 100% befor the event, things would have been smoother. (I intend to get Window 2000, they say it is a "real" operating system, but wasn't that the year the economy crashed?)

The crashes it turns out were positive. The recordings were already in some cases corrupted as they were being recorded, so crashing was a road to a cure, rebooting. So I have a few less recordings to choose from, which is deeply painful to me, for having lost some great material, but I am heartened by the quality of the recordings that I DID get, which would not have otherwise been preserved, had I not asked permission of Rick to record the event.

Now I will have to do my editing work to make a completed project as a promo for future festivals. And the CD should also function as sampler that can point the listener to musicians that may have their own completed CDs to therefore sell to these same listners.

Many thanks again for your fine vibrations. Robin Haas  rob@robinhaas.com