RE: Electrix repeater which 256MB cf card???

--- Mike Barrs <mbarrs@nightviewer.com> wrote:

> Simpletech cards USED to be the best for the Repeater, but they can't
>keep a
> steady suppply of the "fast" controllers, so now apparently it's hit or
> miss. I use an older (2 year old?) Simpletech 128mb card that works fine.

This is correct, however, it ignores the fact that the ONLY cards that
have ever
given full functionality in the Repeater are made by SimpleTech. The
problem is
that you can't tell the ones that work from the ones that don't, since
they're
the same model. It's luck of the draw whether you get one with the right
internal
controller chipset (Hitachi, I'm told), because SimpleTech appears to use
whatever they can get their hands on when they make the cards. I've had
SimpleTech cards that worked with mine, and one that didn't.

So, to summarize, a SimpleTech -might- work with your Repeater. Any other
brand
probably won't work.

> Set the date to "show topics from last year" and track the info on CFC's.
> There is a post from June stating that Simpletech 256mb cards from
> newegg.com work, but I don't know if the current stock qualifies.

I haven't had time to exhaustively test it yet, but I just got a
SimpleTech 256MB
card from newegg.com last Friday and my initial tests say that it will in
fact
work well with my Repeater (ie, it'll format, record in stereo, forward and
reverse, etc).

> Best thing to do (IMO) is get a Simpletech card from a local retailer
>like
> Office Max or something, so you can return it if it doesn't work, and try
> somewhere else.

I don't know about the "local vendor" part, but if you can buy one from a
vendor
that'll let you return it, that's your safest option. If you luck out, and
find
someone with a batch of good ones, let us know.

FWIW, there's been considerable discussion of CFC issues on the
repeater-users
mailing list. It's hosted on YahooGroups, if you're interested.

Greg