Re: Looping with a PC laptop... which one?

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 07:32  PM, Jesse Ray Lucas wrote:

> We've been over this ground before.  The last time I suggested a
> rackmounted
> desktop PC on this list as an alternative to a laptop I got no love
> from
> anyone.

Well, maybe I should have given more background about why I want a
laptop.  I've been hauling around a full Repeater based looping rig for
some time now.  It takes a 6 space rack and a separate drum machine to
make it work, not to mention my guitar.  I try to play places where I
can go direct into the PA so I can avoid bringing amplification.

This works well in lots of forums.  Small spaces, cafes, and the
occasional loopfest.  However, I find that a lot of the small bar and
rave/party situations I play are geared for DJs and put on by DJs.  I
see them cringe when I walk in with multiple trips worth of gear.
Also, when you play electronic music before or after a DJ (and by that
I mean someone who just plays tracks from CDs with some crossfade), you
might as well hold up a sign that says, "That person wishes they were
talented enough to be a musician."  I'm sure this is a generalization,
but I have to wonder why the places that consistently ask me back are
run by musicians who DJ as well.

So my idea is basically to come in and DJ, but use my own material.
Loops created with POLAR and the Repeater but played back by Live
synced to an E-MU XL-7 Command Station.  I'm even starting to wonder if
I'd need the XL-7 as I find out how deep the functionality of Ableton's
Live is.  This rig would fit in a backpack and take less than 10 min to
set up.  I could wear it while I stay for the rest of the show, as
opposed to now where I have to break down and leave as soon as I'm
done.  (can't leave gear in a car...)

That's why I'm looking for a laptop.  Rack-mounted PCs are sweet, but
I'm going for stealth and speed.  I loose flexibility, but hopefully it
will still be fun playing live sound collage with my prerecorded
material.

Mark Sottilaro