Re: MPX-100 looping

SoundFNR@aol.com wrote:

> > I was looking into the archives and there was some talk of using the
> >  Lexicon MPX-100 to create short sustained loops.  Anybody care to
>share
> >  some of their experiences with this?  It might be a good candidate for
> >  ambient loops to go along with the EDP.
> >
> >  Thanks,
> >  John
> >  www.johnmazzarella.com
>
> MPX-100
> 1) there's an infinite repeat delay of up to 2.5s, which allows
>      you to block new input to the loop.
>    it's sort of tap time, in the way of a tap time echo though,
>    not like a full blown looper ( I think the loop length is 2 or 4x the
>tap
> time!)
>    The time can adjust itself to MIDI-clock in, so you can sort
>    of sync ( it doesn't reallign at the loop end though)
>    Unfortunately, if there's incoming MIDI clock this causes
>    the sound in an infinite repeat loop to gradually degrade
>    to a sort of buzzing sound.
>

> 2) there's a mono delay of 5s (or stereo 2.5s) with NO feedback,
>     this is v.high quality though, so can be used as a loop thing
>    if you have a mixer to arrange the feedback.
>    (no tap time)
>
> If you don't want MIDI-sync, and can do without tap time then
> check out the Behringer DSP2024P (Virtualizer Pro).
> This has a stereo delay of up to 5s with up to 100% feedback.
> The left and right channels can be adjusted individually for
> time and feedback ( = 2 seperate loops!)
>
> ...and it has a sort of looping phrase sampler,(5s stereo)
>  . It does variable playback
> speed (2octs either way) and reverse.
>
> ...and it's incredibly cheap
>
> andy butler

Thanks for all of the info everyone,
    The primary use for the MPX would be for reverb and timed delays on my
vocals.  The ability to do short ambient loops would be a bonus.  I've been
experimenting with ambient loops with the EDP this week and have been
having a
lot of fun.  I usually create a blank loop of 10 seconds or so.  Reverse
it,
Play a short phrase, Make it go forward, and then do volume swells with a
delay
pedal.  It creates a nice, big sustained drone with a short backwards
phrase
every ten seconds or so.
    By the way, I've found that backwards lap steel chords,  and backwards
delayed notes sound fantastic!

Thanks,
John
www.johnmazzarella.com