Re: Rackmount 1-space stereo line mixers?

One alternative that I am working with now is the new MOTU 828 Mk II.  It
has 10 discrete ins (which include 2 XLR's with built in pres and 48v
phantom power and their own individual inserts) and 8 outs (on top of all
the ADAT and SPIDF digital I/O's).  The cool thing is that even though it
is
created as a firewire recording interface it also has the capability to
operate as a standalone digital mixer with 4 separate busses which sort of
act like a matrix mixing system.  You can bring in a series of inputs and
output those to any of the outputs for processing, then bring that effected
signal back into a different bus, etc., etc.  It also has a headphone jack
on the front and you can even assign the headphone as the output for one of
the mixes which could act as your own personal monitor mix.  All this can
be
programmed and set from the PC or Mac, but can be modified right from the
front (volume, routing, panning, etc.) of the unit without any computer
hooked up.  I am still trying to work it into my system as my main mixer
and
so far its looking pretty promising.  The final nice thing is that it is a
single rack space unit!

Regards,
Steve Ginn