RE: Acoustic Pickups

From: JustinFobes@aol.com [mailto:JustinFobes@aol.com]

>> In a message dated 9/14/03 3:55:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
>> tiktok@sprintmail.com writes:
>>
>> The Sunrise is a  (stacked) humbucking pickup.  If you're still
>> getting  interference, the problem may be downstream from your guitar.
>>
>> TravisH
>

> Hummm . . .
>
> What, or where do you think it would come from?
>
> Sunrise --> LRBaggs Internal Preamp --> Line 6 DL4 (Where the
> interference is looped)
>
> Mebby the HI- Z Cable from preamp to Line 6 DL4?
>
> Thanks soo much for your OT input, really, the help on this list is
> really good!

Justin,

I've heard hum even from stacked humbuckers like the Sunrise when you get
into a heavy enough local RF field. Or, it could be a ground loop problem.

I haven't tried the Duncan Magmic, but I do have a Fishman Rare Earth Blend
(magnetic soundhole pickup with a small condenser mic on a gooseneck). It's
a stacked humbucker with an onboard preamp. The preamp really helps kill
any
hum... it's extremely quiet, even when recording near a computer monitor or
other RF sources.

The "Pick up the World" company and the Lace pickup company have jointly
developed a new "NT" pickup system. This uses a very small magnetic pickup
mounted at the end of the fingerboard, along with various other options for
undersaddle or soundboard mounting. The system can be run in blended mono
or
stereo output modes. You might want to look into this too. I haven't heard
it yet, but it's supposedly a very quiet and RF-rejecting design.

Mike Barrs