Re: Looping with other musicians, new tools=new results

There's nothing unfair about the drummer acting as the metronome, or
more accurately as the central source of tempo, for a band if that's
what's been agreed upon.  And that's not an uncommon agreement in most
western bands.

I don't agree with the idea that this stunts the ability of the players
involved to grow.  There are many strengths to a commitment to steady
tempo, including using click tracks, samples or loops which establish
this tempo, and as with any aesthetic decision, there are drawbacks,
but the basic idea of "drummer (among other duties) keeps time for the
band and attempts to keep said tempo as steady as required" isn't rare
or oppressive.  Some basketball players are centers, some people are
guards, but a team needs them both, and a band is the same way.

TravisH