Re: Stereo EDP

I routinely send both channels of my Roland GP-100 to an EDP or a
Digitech Time Machine and use the results in mono.  Since my live
guitar is still in stereo, I'm never really bothered by the absence of
stereo on the loops.  I'll even mix everything to mono when it's not
practical to bring a pair of cabinets and stereo power amp.

I do also listen to most of my CDs at home in what amounts to mono--a
stereo boombox, often in the other room, and actually it is nice to not
have to string speaker cables around the room.   I have my doubts that
most music requires super stereo separation, particularly in a live
context where the PA is likely to be in mono, or the audience isn't
going to be anywhere near the sweet spot.

  If I had my druthers, I'd always play and monitor myself in stereo,
but then I'd also have someone doing the cartage and setup on my gear.
I carried around a twenty-space rack (not entirely full but still damn
heavy and bulky), and stereo speakers for years, but it's not necessary
or practical for most live situations.

But, if you can't stand it, you can't stand it.  Still, I don't think
$1600 for stereo EDPs is that much, if you're seriously making music in
a commercial context.

TravisH