Re: £900!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing eh?  Good thing you don't want to do stereo looping or your
looper would set you back about the price of a good used automobile.
Frankly, I've abandoned the idea of ever owning an EDP.  Not because I
couldn't come up with that money, but because I just don't think it's
worth it, especially now with software loopers starting to hit the
market that will make your laptop your best looping friend.  There have
recently been a few posts about what Reaktor 4 can do and it sounds
amazingly promising.  PHP has some Lexicon PCM42 simulators that I hear
are also amazing, thought I've yet to hear about someone here using
them for live looping.  Digital Performer's POLAR module is one feature
away from being one of the coolest loopers you could ever want.
(doesn't have a feedback control)

Basically, I've given up looking for the ultimate dedicated hardware
looper.  I don't think it will ever exist because of the nitch market
we are.  The EDP is expensive and it looks like there will never be a
significant hardware upgrade for it.

I think it's a lot easier for a software manufacturer because they
don't have to worry about getting a factory to make units that may or
may not sell.  (see: Repeater)  Anyway, I see the overall demise of
dedicated audio hardware as computers get faster and cheaper and
software gets better.  Right now a Powerbook G4 will run you about what
it costs for 2 EDPs. (USD) Of course, that's without software and a USB
MIDI/Audio interface, but that's an Apple product.  The PC world is
cheaper with a larger selection of software.  For now, the EDP pair
will probably give you better looping for your pound, but will you be
able to edit video on it when your not looping?  Send your dear mum a
nice email?  Don't get me wrong, I love a well designed piece of audio
hardware and I'll feel a bit bad when everything I own will be able to
live in one of these cool little boxes.  On the other hand, I'll have a
much roomier studio space when that time comes.  Believe me, it's
coming.  If I were Kim and Matthias, loop 5 would run on OSX and WinXP.

Mark Sottilaro