Re: ableton live questions

Hey all;

I've been using Live as my primary looping device since I replaced my RC-20
with it a while back, and I've found it to be quite workable. I've got the
following setup:

- Live & Reason (slaves off of Live, following tempo and start-stop
assignments) running on a windows XP laptop, with an M-audio quattro audio
interface (4-in, 4-out);
- MIDI control via 49-key midiman keystation & a Drumkat DK10;
- a 6-stereo-input, 2-zone line mixer, for mixing in guitar, mic'd
instruments and turntables;

Pros and cons:

Pro:
- Live provides automatic locking to tempo for loop record/playback --
loops
of different
lengths display as clock sweeps with repetition counters during playback,
so
you can easily see where you are in each loop, and how long you have until
it ends;

- effectively infinite number of loops/tracks -- this comes in handy when
using Reason -- you can assign a base of devices in Reason to its own
mixer,
and main output, and then directly assign various other "solo" instruments
directly to individual Live tracks.

- assignable MIDI and keyboard shortcuts -- I've assigned each track's
"arm"
and "record start/stop" for each clip slot to MIDI keys on one channel.
Since clip recording picks up at the beginning of the next bar, this makes
throwing in a new loop pretty seamless.

- VST effects -- though these can suck down processing power, I've recently
discovered the wonderful world of freeware VST effects, many of which
actually don't suck.  Effects params can also be assigned to MIDI control,
which is nice.  Since Reason doesn't accept VST plug-ins, playing Reason
thru Live, and applying effects, is a nice workaround.

- Graphical interface -- the ability to cut-and-paste, drag-and-drop, etc,
makes all the difference -- the interface is intuitive and easy to pick up.

- Tempo shift without pitch change -- their "Warp audio" control is pretty
slick -- the ability to micromanage the quantization of clips of audio is
pretty nifty too.

Cons:
- not enough controls are assignable to MIDI -- for example, version 2.0
added a tap tempo, but it's only mouse-clickable, not MIDI-assignable.  I'd
love to have this connected to a spare drum pad.

- no real feedback control -- once you start a loop, gracefully rolling it
off is a challenge.  While the system does have assignable crossfaders,
raising interesting possibilties, it's still tough to get blends to work
well sometimes.

- As with most (all?) software, the occasional crash or audio drop-out
comes
with the territory;

Overall, I think it's a great tool for Live looping, as long as you spend
the time to get accquainted with it (as with any instrument), and set up a
decent template, with MIDI assignments that make sense to you, ahead of
time.  I'm thinking that a pocket fader or Evolution U-control would make a
good addition, since the most tedious mousework involved in the program
tends to be tweaking levels (and other params).

HTH,
Gene