Re: Definining Experimental Music -- was: Dangerous (learning)curves (was Fast & Trashy, Slow and Chaste)

ok, my dictionary has two entries for experimental.

The first is like David's "Pedantic View".

The second is "To try something new, especially in order to gain
experience." Like a synonym for exploratory, and a pretty good answer
to Zvonar's question about David's "Punter View".

I am hazarding a guess that the second definition is generally
preferred by musicians touting their wares, while self-effacing peers
and dissatisfied critics get even by invoking the first. Of course,
there are scientific symphonies and market-researched pop songs, so
Not Always but Often.

Whether it's conscious or intuitive, exploration is risky for the
audience. (It's risky for the performers too, but they get hold on to
the steering wheel.) Some listeners like the gamble and the thrills,
that's cool.  But it seems pretty common to expect that a performer
will take you somewhere they've been before, and if they're good they
make you feel like it's new to you, and if they're really good make
it seem like it's new to them too. Like magic!

But like magic, how much sleight of hand is involved is an insider's
secret and should be kept that way. David Abrams has some nice things
to say about this, I think. Maybe it partially explains how
"experimental music" became an inside joke-- the label just gives it
away right from the start?  Or is it the other way around, and we're
here defending our vital need for obfuscation?

Never meta Semant-o-thon I didn't like :-) but it's 4:04 and I'm Not
Found...

-Alex S.