Re: Delicious Chicken--Cooked by Hand or MIDI?

Hi Gary!

Nice gauntlet you're throwing down here... hand cooked chicken indeed!

In the past I was very much into controlling all my fx params and edp with
midi extensively, had a GCX Expander for inserting various fx, and for the
most part enjoyed it very much. I just got tired of my half-assed remote
programmer for my PMC-10 and hauling around a 10sp rack, pedalboard, midi
pedal controller etc.

The main thing that has led me to abandon it for the time being is the
belief that "control" really isn't my top priority, despite it's attractive
pragmatic implications, and a commitment to getting out on a limb as
frequently as possible.

I've made surprise my top priority. (For me, not the audience.) Being out
of
control keeps things fresh (and a bit scary) for me. I'll probably slowly
swing back towards some edp midi control, but for the last few years, I've
really enjoyed just running about with all floor stuff and no rack, or
minimal rack.

Abandon, surprises, real-time interaction and ingenious simplicity are my
main buzzwords. Removing programming distractions which require a lot of
advance planning has made my experience more in-the-moment. I still have my
pile of fuzzes, a few delays, edp, modulation toys etc. but they're pretty
handily placed on a single pedal board (excepting my dl4 vortex and edp).
It's pretty intesting how synched you can sound by retriggering the looper
on the downbeats if you have to.

l been done struck simple!
-Miko