EDP loop technique question

Hi All,
    Here is a question for you.  I use an EDP.  I've seen Howie Day do
this thing where he builds up an intrumental loop on his guitar with one
looper, and then builds up a vocal loop on a seperate looper.  He then
has the ability to turn one loop off while the other plays.  I'd like to
be able to do this, but I'm not sure if it can be done with just one
EDP.
    Here is what I'd like to do.  Build up an intrumental loop of some
sort.  Then add vocals on top of it, with vocal harmonies and the whole
things.  Then I'd like to drop the intrumental part out of it and just
hear the vocals.  I'd then like to play some new stuff on my guitar
underneath the vocals.  Any strategies for doing this with one EDP?  I
suspect a clever use of feedback may be needed.

Thanks in advance,
John
www.johnmazzarella.com