RE: mac G5 -- what's the word?

> From: Paolo Valladolid <paolovalladolid@yahoo.com>
> Date: Fri Aug 1, 2003  7:23:07  PM US/Eastern
> To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
> Subject: RE: mac G5 -- what's the word?

> The Emagic stuff is supposed to be optimized for
> dual-processor G4s (obviously not yet for G5s), so
> we'll see about that....

In OS9 (I'm running Logic 6.1.1 on a G4 450DP) the System Performance
window has two meters for the dual CPUs so you can see how they're
working: only the 2nd CPU is working at all times, except when you
record audio AND have audio playback at the same time, then the 1st CPU
takes onto the recording task, and the 2nd CPU handles the playback.
Bouncing offline uses the 1st CPU exclusively. I do not know in OS X
because the multiprocessing is handled low-level by the OS, rather than
the app, and there is only one meter for both CPUs in Logic.
In real terms I noticed that when I reach the near limit of the CPU
(with plugins, soft-synths etc.) on a single-CPU machine, the screen
redraws, key hits etc. become extremely slow, whereas on a dual-CPU I
assume the 2nd CPU to take on those tasks because it never happens. I
did not notice any real difference in terms of plugins, audio tracks
etc. between a single and dual processor G4 450 (I have both). As a lot
of things that are computer-related, assuming Logic's meters are
accurate, there is a lot of hype and little facts…
Hope it helps.
Laurent