Re: mac G5 -- what's the word?

Hello John,
The G5 chip has a 64-bit architecture, as opposed to 32-bit for the G4.
That's the real novelty about it, and it's backward compatible. However
OS X is still 32-bit, the first rev. of OS X 10.3 is and will be 32-bit
(it's now seeded to the developers), and so are all applications
actually running on OS X. You'd have to wait for the developers, and
Apple, to update their programs in order to take full advantage of the
G5 chip, and I would not expect that to happen before 2004. Essentially
this is now a very fast G4 with faster bus, bigger HD and memory
capabilities and so on. I would go for a G4 now, they're much cheaper,
and the 1.25GHz ones sold at the Apple store boot in OS 9 as well.
Furthermore I would avoid buying the 1st rev. of any new computer model.
The Apple G4s and G5s all come with a dual-display video card that has
1 proprietary ADC connector and 1 DVI connector. The machines comes
with a DVI-to-VGA connector, so yes, you can plug any monitor that has
a 15-pin VGA connector. You can also buy a ADC-to-VGA connector and
have 2 VGA monitors on the same machine.
Best,
Laurent
info@laurentbrondel.com
http://laurentbrondel.com/