RE: Preamps?

i really like the digitech gnx-3 (or the gnx-2, it's the same
thing without the recorder/fake looper).
the presets are mostly crap, though.  the thing that
impressed me most is the distortion stomp box models.
i had never heard a proper sounding tube screamer model before.
and it's nice to have that old boss ds-1 munch available.
the sparkle drive is cool, too.
notably lacking is an octave fuzz. i made one with using
the pitch shifter, but it doesn't sound quite right.

it also has the digi whammy pedal built in.
you can assign the built in controller pedal to control
just about any parameter, and you always have wah available
by stomping down on the front of it.

i spent a few hours in guitar center trying things out
before i bought it.  you definitely have to dial in your
own sounds before you can compare them.  i sold my pod
to get this.

i didn't try the pod xt pro, though.
i wasn't after a rack mount unit.
i bet it's speaker emulation is a bit better.

the convenience of it sold me. now i just need to build a floor
version out of my edp and i won't need a rack at all...