Re: which multi effects box ?

Michael O'Reilly wrote:

> Hello loopers
>
> I was referred to the list by Michael Brook - Knowing only that he used
> multi-tap delays I emailed him to ask how he synched his delays to music
>(he
> uses midi clock). While that may be well known to many of you as an
> efficient way to spend more time performing than knob twiddling, it just
> shows how much I don't know. I reviewed some of the products, but
>thought it
> might be more efficient to ask the list
>
> ***I have roughly $1k to spend on a device that should do: JamMan style
> looping, multi-tap midi clock synch, in reverb one of the flavors should
>be
> infinite, and assorted stomp box style overdirve effects as well as all
>the
> other effects one gets in a multi-unit***
>
> Is this too much to expect ? should I be looking at being able to do all
> these things by buying separate units ? If folx cannot reccomend one
> multi-effects unit, perhaps they can mention one unti that does one of
>the
> things mentioned above (looping, infinite reverb, multi-tap midi clock
> synch, guitar overdrive, etc) and do it well ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael O'Reilly

It sounds like you might be best served by two seperate machines, one for
dedicated looping and one for mult-effects.  It also sounds like you want
your
looper to send out MIDI clock, which I believe only the EDP and The
Repeater do.

    I'm an EDP user, and I love it.  New ones are going for $799. at
musicians
friend without a footcontroller.  I use the EDP as a MIDI Master to my
Adrenalinn and it's great.  I get lots of beat synced tremolo, delay,
filter and
flange sequences, etc.  The Adrenalinn doesn't have reverb though.  I've
done
some research on multi-effects and I liked what I read about the Lexicon
MPX-200.  It has well reviewed reverb, as well as time based delays and
other
effects.  I believed that box is going for about $299.
    That seemed to put you over your $1000. budget, but it might be a
place to
start looking.

Best of luck,
John