RE: midi looper

Issues such as these would seem to suggest a need for an abstraction layer
that manages between input (what you'd like to feed into the looper) and
output (what is actually being sent out in MIDI, representing 'looped'
content). That layer could have the ability to interpret incoming notes,
and
merge them into a meaningful way onto outgoing MIDI. E.g. if the same note
already playing in the loop is played again, at a different time, it would
merge the 'superimposition' or 'union' of those two notes rather than
directly propagating them. It would need deeper memory than just one
loop's
worth, since it would have to keep history on which note is at which point
in its decaying feedback 'envelope', and such.

Such an abstraction layer would be desired for other functions as well,
such
as abstracting tempo and time signature information, and synthesizing new
MIDI clock based on the loop content and loop length. Based on this,
extrapolation of tempo would become feasible, going into polyrhytmics. E.g
launch a new loop in 5/4 but at the same bpm as my current loop in 4/4 -
resulting in a synchronous loop but of different length).

(just some thoughts out loud)

Nic