Re: looping-structure (Brad Mehldau looping)

One of the things I would like to get to the point of being able to do with
the EDP (my looper of choice) is to emulate some of the things Brad Mehldau
does on the piano, with my bass.  He does this thing where he will be
playing a melody with his right hand and then go up and start playing an
ostinato, and then he begins playing a really distinct counter melody with
his left hand while his first line is up there twiddling around.

My favorite example of this is from Art of the Trio IV: Live at the Village
Vanguard, on the track "Nice Pass."  If I could get fluid enough with the
EDP and tight enough with my pedal presses, I could play in some kind of
high, notey ostinato and then play something underneath just like that.
But
then you need a drummer who plays in time and listens, or just to be fluid
enough that you can kill the loop on the fly when it drifts out of sync
with
everyone.  I would like to get to the point where I can loop two and a half
beats or so on the fly a couple times and use the EDP like an extra set of
hands for certain phrases.  Hmm...  Maybe I should go practice instead of
writing this email.

-Jesse