Re: Repeater and sync from midi in

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Sottilaro" <sine@zerocrossing.net>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2003 2:02 PM
Subject: Re: Repeater and sync from midi in

> >> no, they did it right. You should have your drum machine on a
> >> different midi channel from the repeater. clock is global, so it
> >> doesn't matter what channel the devices are on for sync to midi >>
> >> clock.
> >
> > I don't consider that *right*. The RIGHT way to do it would be to
> > develop such that this like this wouldn't cause obscure problems for
> > people who don't happen to know.
>
> You don't consider sending midi note messages to control pitch a good
> way to do it?  What would you suggest?  Control Voltage?

I'm not talking about the *sending* box, I'm talking about the *receiving*
box.

Unless I've read the Repeater manual incorrectly, the pitch adjustment is
done via CC's.
As far as I can tell, the Repeater doesn't use MIDI notes at all. However
it
does obviously do something with them as it's hosed the shound of the
audio.

Have I missed the documentation that says what the Repeater does with note
on/off messages?

The midi chart suggests it uses PC and CC messages only.

So, if it doesn't NEED MIDI notes, why not simply filter the notes out so
an
idiot like me who happens to have a drum machine sending sync and also
happens to be on the same channel doesn't hose up the
recorded audio.

Not that matters now, this idiot has been informed and I'm moving on to the
next thing.

Paul

> But you probably don't know what a CV controlled synth is, as you
> surely are just starting with MIDI.  MIDI is far from perfect but it's
> all we have and all that's going to be around in the foreseeable future.
>
> I think the point is this:  If you're going to be an electronic
> musician, be prepared to read manuals, frequent lists like this and

I'm not going to be an electronic musician, and I DO read manuals, and I've
experimented a lot, AND, I've read this list, and I've so far managed to
resolve every problem I've run across. I don't recall seeing the answer to
my drum machine thing as you stated.

I do happen to be vocal about what I think about them.

> experiment a lot.  Not every piece of gear can be all things to all
> people, especially lower end gear like your Boss drum machine.  You
> want amazing functionality?  You won't find it in a drum machine that
> retails for $350 new.  Can you make amazing music with that $350 drum
> machine?  Sure can.  It might not work as flexibly as you'd like but
> that's the way it is.
>
> "You can't bend the spoon.  That would be impossible.  It is you that
> bends."
>
> All of what we've told you here is documented in manuals, I know
> because that's how I learned a lot of this.  Other stuff I've learned
> by asking questions and listening.  If you're too impatient to learn
> how your gear works, you might want to sell it all and get an acoustic
> guitar and play un-pluged.  Yelling about the fact that you've not
> really read and understood the manuals isn't going to help you.

Read what I said above. You are making assumptions. I most always work with
the manuals before posting here. If something is not IN the manual it
doesn't much help me now does it? You say this as if the manuals have all
the info well documented and it's up to my silly ass to correctly interpret
it. It's not all there. Surely you have run across that situation in your
explorations of electronica.

Paul