Re: Repeater and sync from midi in

On Saturday, July 19, 2003, at 08:06 AM, Paul Sanders wrote:

>>> I wonder if there is a way around that the developers should have
>>> used?!
>>
>> no, they did it right. You should have your drum machine on a
>> different midi channel from the repeater. clock is global, so it
>> doesn't matter what channel the devices are on for sync to midi >>
>> clock.
>
> I don't consider that *right*. The RIGHT way to do it would be to
> develop such that this like this wouldn't cause obscure problems for
> people who don't happen to know.

You don't consider sending midi note messages to control pitch a good
way to do it?  What would you suggest?  Control Voltage?

But you probably don't know what a CV controlled synth is, as you
surely are just starting with MIDI.  MIDI is far from perfect but it's
all we have and all that's going to be around in the foreseeable future.

I think the point is this:  If you're going to be an electronic
musician, be prepared to read manuals, frequent lists like this and
experiment a lot.  Not every piece of gear can be all things to all
people, especially lower end gear like your Boss drum machine.  You
want amazing functionality?  You won't find it in a drum machine that
retails for $350 new.  Can you make amazing music with that $350 drum
machine?  Sure can.  It might not work as flexibly as you'd like but
that's the way it is.

"You can't bend the spoon.  That would be impossible.  It is you that
bends."

All of what we've told you here is documented in manuals, I know
because that's how I learned a lot of this.  Other stuff I've learned
by asking questions and listening.  If you're too impatient to learn
how your gear works, you might want to sell it all and get an acoustic
guitar and play un-pluged.  Yelling about the fact that you've not
really read and understood the manuals isn't going to help you.

Cranky pre caffein,

Mark Sottilaro