Re: OT: Bass Hum

--- redrum123 <redrum123@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I've had my acoustic bass for not even a month, and
> there is a rather severe noise issue using the
>pickup...

We had a thread about this over at the Eccentric
Luthiery Support Group a few months back...

The gist of it was: there's a similar problem with one
of my project instruments (a low-open-tuned fretless
nylon-string). It has a Markley undersaddle piezo, a
Yamaha preamp, a very cool 'fretless bass meets oud'
vibe and a whole lotta nasty hum. Like yours, the
noise level varies if you touch the plug, which sorta
requires a third hand while playing the thing. The
problem is worse when the instrument is played through
higher fidelity amps; through my electric rig it's
almost acceptable with a certain amount of volume
pedal riding, but through my acoustic amp it buzzes
like a smoke alarm.

Unfortunately, the thread (and the problem) never
really resolved; there were a lot of suggestions
(grounding straps, etc.), a lot of third-party
observations (repairmen who say that's just the nature
of piezos) and the like. I'd really like to be able to
loop this instrument without a mic; it plays great,
but the hum is unacceptable.

If anyone has any insight, come on over to the ELSG
and re-open the thread. (It's on topic there!)

-t-