From: Tim Nelson [mailto:psychle62@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2003 6:29 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Drum loops...how do you do it?

--- Paul Sanders <paul_sanders@adelphia.net> wrote:
> How would you guys approach this? I want to be able
> to tap out rhythms if I
> want to, but I want to be able to have the midi
> clock output so my looper
> can sync to it.

You could combine approaches: use a drum machine for
extremely simple parts (just kick, maybe) and play
your fills live into the loop. That way, you've got
midi tempo *with* the live performance aspect of
playing the drum parts.

I used to do something similar on demo recordings
10-15 years ago: my drumming was sloppy, but the drum
machine I had at the time sounded stiff and
mechanical. By assigning simple steady parts to the
machine, and playing the 'Keith Moon' parts manually,
the end result was quite interesting.

-t-